Monday, March 7, 2011

Welcome

A woman screamed and cursed at a complete stranger on the bus today...for ten straight minutes. Not a single person intervened.

Welcome to London.

As a New Zealander I was told many different things about London from peers who had visited before me.
"It's amazing...you'll have the time of your life...the tude's a b***h...it's HUGE".

All of these things are true. What's not is the often said statement "you'll either love it or hate it".
When I first arrived 8 months ago I hated it, then I loved it, then I hated it again, now I'm staring at the beast with indifference.

After being here without writing for such a long period I've finally found the perfect topic for the new blog. London and all the quirks that come with it. Only wish I'd thought of it sooner - there've been some interesting situations!

To get the ball rolling here's a bit of advice if you're planning on visiting: don't expect anyone to help you, ever.

I've seen an old woman fall on the stairs and people step over her, people avert thier eyes if they're in a seat a pregnant woman so clearly needs, and numerous violent situations between over-worked Londoners.

But perhaps the worst was seeing an elderly lady getting kicked and shoved in the supermarket by a hefty coloured woman, What did security do? Nothing but walk on past.

It feels ominous to start on such a negative note, but London brings out the worst in people.

If you stumble people assume you're drunk, if you drop something people will look away rather than help, and if you actually talk to someone on the tube you've become the crazy person in the carriage.

Don't get me wrong there are definitely friendly Londoners out there, and they'll be staring in future posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment